Shiatsu uses a variety of techniques to manipulate your joints and soft tissue to improve your body's overall health. Shiatsu is a form of Japanese bodywork based on concepts in Traditional Chinese Medicine and is derived from a Japanese modality called Anma. Massage increases the body's supply of oyxyen and nutrients to your muscles, which help release waste frrom the muscle tissue.
Massage also accelerates your body's own natural ability to heal itself.
- Increased flexibility
- Release of stored tension and emotions in the body
- Pain relief
- Increased energy and concentration
- Improved blood and lymph circulation
- Boost the immune system
- Opening or loosening of the joints
- Lengthening and stretching of tight or sore muscles
- Deep relaxation and improved mental state
- Improve resistance to injury
- Improve range of motion
- Help to release lactic acid and other toxins
- Provide relief from stress and anxiety-related conditions such as fatigue, headaches, and insomnia
Preparation for a session:
- Wear comfortable clothes! Our bodywork can be done FULLY clothed or semi clothed in order to fully access critical acupressure points and facilitate deeper stretching. Yoga clothes or an oversized tee and pajama pants do just nicely.
- We will work on either a massage table or a comfortable futon on the floor depending on your needs.
- As you would for a yoga class, avoid eating at least two hours before a session if possible.
- Avoid using heavy moisturizers and oils before your session.
- Prepare to let go. Often the hardest part in receiving bodywork is relaxing into someone else’s energy. Try to relax and focus on slowing down your breath.